Friday, August 6, 2010

Taste - the missing link!

Friends, my prayers have been answered. Since my last post (http://naman-ki-ma.blogspot.com/2010/07/from-hand-to-mouth.html), Naman has miraculously turned into a not-a-very-fussy eater. Well, not really miraculously. Did a lot of thinking to answer the big question "WHY (does he not like to eat)". The villain, it turned out, was the bland food that I was forcing on him. Poor thing, even a glutton would go on a hunger strike when given no other option. Well, but how was I to know? Babies are supposed to thrive on bland food, right? But my guy is a desi baby all the way, seems to like spicy food with tons of ghee!
Yesterday, I cooked brown rice pulao for him. I fried carrots and peas (organic of course) in ghee. Sprinked crushed jeera and cardamom. Added brown rice (reminder: soak the rice for 30 minutes before cooking next time), continued frying for another 5 minutes. Then transferred to a pressure cooker. Cooked on low for upto 3 whistles. Mashed this in a blender and voila! dinner is ready. Now, I HATE brown rice, hate the smell, hate the flavor and anything to do with it. But brown rice is infinitely more nutritious than white rice (http://www.mydesibaby.com/2009/12/switch-to-brown-rice-when-your-babies-are-young.html ) and I do want my son to get all the nutrition he can. With serious apprehension in mind, hubby dear (bade me from feeding this to him because of the twisted, contorted, gagged expression on my face) extended the spoon full of rice to his mouth and lo and behold, the little monster seemed to relish it and smacked his way through. Phew! What a relief! Did a lot to boost my confidence. Never has cooking for someone felt more rewarding and satisfactory (notwithstanding the "hmmm interesting" comments I occasionally gather from hubby).

Knock on wood, my little man seems to be less fussy about food ever since and it is almost as if he waits for dinner time to see what delicacy mommy has come up with today. Awwwwww :) Anything for my sweet cuddly bear!

1 comment:

  1. Maddy.. This post was so enlightening :). Please keep updating your findings. And I so wished to see Naman when I was in SFO last month.

    ReplyDelete